Sunday 29 January 2012

Sticking the Sticks

A short one this week, it occurred to me as I started to stick the wooden sticks on to cover the second of these two models that I switch methods of sticking on sticks, even on the same model sometimes, more mood dependent than design.

Sometimes, in this example I would lay out the frame work first using sticks glued together for double thickness to make the main frame and beams. Then I would cut the layered planks that go between and stick them on in between the beams. This is actually a more time consuming way, but does give a more rustic look. It’s very easy to get the planks slightly too short and have gaps.






When I’m in more of a hurry to see progress I sometimes just lay all the planks on first covering the entire side of the model. 

Once they have dried I lay a single layer of additional sticks over the top laying the frame out on top of the model. 









This is quicker; the planking looks much neater between the frame as there has been no additional cutting.

But is it cheating?

Which do you guys prefer?

2 comments:

  1. I like the first one better. I think it gives the building more character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First photo for me as well. Looks ramshackle, but in a sort of planned way! I really like the effort generally, though. Top stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and suggestions are always welcome when they are related to the posts.
Comments are moderated to remove spam postings. Spam posting will NOT be tolerated.
Thanks DJK.